Thursday, September 3, 2009

5K Training!

Yes! That's what it said....5K training!

My brother Steven ran his first 5K this summer. He tried to talk us into doing it with him and Lewis & I quickly declined. I had no desire to run in the summer! Steven loved his first 5K & said he was ready for another one. So, a few weeks later he calls me & says, "okay....I've got it! There's a 5K in Friendswood in October!"

So, there's where this craziness started! Lewis & I told him we'll do it! I have NEVER done any distance running in my life. Even in my young sports days & in high school sports, I was a sprinter, not a distance runner. God forbid a coach makes me run a whole entire lap around the track! I'd run those quick drills no problem, but I just never had the endurance for distance. So, in short - distance running has never even interested me.

BUT, I thought I needed a new challenge in my life! So, about 3 weeks ago, I started running! It's amazing - just like Steven told me. Seriously, the first week I couldn't even get around the block. Now, just 3 weeks later, I can run a full mile....even pushing Paige in the stroller! That is a big improvement & I've got 7 weeks to go. I think I might survive. I'm certainly not going for a time goal. I just want to finish. I think I can do it!

I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my...this is the first I am hearing of this---can't wait to see how it goes! I bet you will end up doing really well!

D... said...

You? Are crazy! ;) Good luck! I can't wait to hear how well you do. I have no doubt that you will finish the marathon!